Buckingham Carmel Living is proud to partner with the 7th Annual Carmel Marathon as the title sponsor of the Fitness Expo! The Carmel Marathon is on Saturday, April 22nd and will have four races going through most of the Carmel district. In line with this event, we’ll have contests, special offers on apartment homes, and activities for everyone to participate in all month long. Don’t be a couch potato! Join the fun with Buckingham Carmel Living and the Carmel Marathon.
Did you know there are over 4,000 running trails in Carmel? Hit the pavement with these running trails that go through Carmel and Indianapolis. The Carmel Marathon incorporates four distance races that participants can take part in. Check out some of our team's favorite trails within the area:
- Monon Trail – 19.7 miles
- Greyhound Trail – 0.4 miles
- 146th Street Trail – 2.3 miles
- Carey Road Trail – 1.4 miles
- Natalie Wheeler Trail – 1.6 miles
- Indianapolis Cultural Trail – 8 miles
- Canal Walk – 1.5 miles
- Eagle Creek Park – 3 miles
- Holiday Park & Nature Center – 3.5 miles
Before you hit the ground running, prepare for your run and the race with some training tips. Whether you are just starting your training or already have a few races under your belt, these tips will keep you happy and healthy all the way through the finish line.
- Start early: One of the most common causes of injury is building weekly mileage too soon, too fast. Experts stress the importance of consistently running at least 20–30 miles a week regularly for a year before committing to training for a marathon.
- Stretch every day and don’t skip the weights: Strong cardio isn’t enough. In order to put in the miles needed, your body has to be physically strong enough to carry its weight for hours. And to achieve that, you must add resistance training to your mix. Stretching is also key to keep your hamstrings from tightening, shortening your stride, and pulling muscles.
- Enjoy your off day: Rest days mean no running, even if you feel good. Off days let your muscles recover from taxing workouts while also preventing mental burnout.
- Eat well: Nutrition will make or break your training efforts. Carbohydrates will provide glycogen while proteins will help repair muscle tissue. Runners need to consume 2,000 to 2,500 calories each day – 65% carbohydrates, 10% protein, 20-25% healthy unsaturated fats.
- Dress like a runner: Don’t run a marathon in a cotton T-shirt because as you sweat, the cotton will have a suffocating effect. It’s better to run in fabrics designed for physical activity, such as Coolmax or nylon.
- Don’t run the day before the race: At this point your body is conditioned for the mileage and now you need to give your muscles some old-fashioned TLC. Do walk around to keep the blood moving but don’t walk for more than two hours at a time.
- Do NOT carb-load the night before the race: It’s a common misconception that runners must eat a huge meal the night before a big race. It takes at least 36 hours for the food we eat to be processed and be useable in a race. Anything consumed after that will sit heavy in your gut for 26.2 miles. Eat light, but don’t go to bed hungry.
- Hydrate: Increase your water intake several days leading up to race day. The extra fluid will protect your muscles, joints and energy processors as they are being pushed to the limit. Drink a big glass of water before you go to bed and right when you wake up on race day.
Now that you have a list of trails to check out and tips for a healthy, long-distance run, you need to sign up for the marathon! Don’t worry, though. We are giving away three FREE entries into the Carmel Marathon, but you have to sign up before April 15th, so don’t delay!
Once you sign up for the Carmel Marathon, stop by and say hi to our Buckingham Carmel Living team, who will be at the FREE Fitness Expo the night before the race at the Monon Community Center from 11 AM – 9 PM. We’ll be taking pictures at the welcome sign for you to share in the excitement of the event on your own social channels! What could be better? How about a $200 gift card from our friends at Blue Mile! You must stop by the Buckingham Carmel Living table to sign up for your chance to WIN!
After the race, stop by one of our three locations, Gramercy, Providence at Old Meridian, and Governor Square, to learn about our special offers on select apartment homes during marathon weekend only. This is your chance to save big on your next apartment home in Carmel!
Train, run, and win with Buckingham Carmel Living! Connect with us on social to learn more and utilize our Carmel Marathon hashtag, #BuckinghamRunsCarmel, to get in on the action. We look forward to meeting everyone and lacing up our running shoes too!